Veteran’s Repair Assistance Program
The National Low-Income Housing Coalition finds that 2.5 million veterans heading households are at least 55 years of age. Of those 2.5 million veterans, 24 percent have housing cost burdens. Unlike our older civilians, our older veterans are more likely to have a disability- 35 percent versus 28 percent- which may require home modifications, health and other supportive services as they age.
In addition, nearly 4 million of our veterans pay at least 30 percent of their income toward rent or mortgage, while more than 1.5 million pay at least 50 percent. Leading to most using half of their income to pay their rent or mortgage.
In partnership and collaboration with Veterans Connect, Habitat for Humanity will receive names of families interested in the Veteran’s Repair Assistance Program. Veterans who qualify for the program will repay a zero-interest loan necessary for their repairs. We are committed to helping Veterans thrive by creating healthier, safer home environments through critical repairs and improvements!
Please note: Potential applicants must be homeowners in Allen, Huntington or Wells county.
There are three main criteria for applying for the Veteran’s Repair Assistance Program
Ability to Pay
Need for Repair
Willingness to Partner
- Mortgage and property taxes must be current on property.
- Property must be covered by homeowner’s insurance.
- This is not a free program so repayment of a portion of the repair costs will be required.
- Property owner must be veteran, which is defined as a resident living in a home who has served in the U.S. military. Veterans who have received an honorable or general discharge and are either wounded warriors, disabled veterans and/or are of low to moderate incomes are eligible.
- Property must be owner-occupied in Allen, Huntington or Wells counties and serve as the primary residence of all owners on title.
- Property must be a single-family residence or duplex. Mutli-family dwellings larger than two units and homes used as rental units are NOT eligible.
- Need assesed during in-home visit.
- Must be willing to complete required sweat equity hours.
- Attend mandatory education classes.
- Repay a portion of the costs of the repair.
Add your email for updates on special builds, upcoming events and more.